What is well-being?
The government defines this as ‘a positive physical, social and mental state. Mental wellbeing does not have a singular universal definition, but it does encompass factors such as:
- A sense of feeling good about ourselves.
- Ability to deal with the ups and downs life throws at us.
- Feeling part of a community and surroundings.
- Having control and freedom over our lives.
- Having a sense of purpose.
- Feeling valued.
This does not mean being happy all the time and it doesn’t mean you won’t experience negative or painful emotions, but whatever your age, being physically active can help you to lead a mentally healthier life and can improve wellbeing.